Links

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gaddafi's Speech: An Interpretation

The ongoing violent protests in Libya prompted Gaddafi to make a speech today. We have seen this movie before in Tunisia and Egypt. But I will let that pass. What I want to do here is to interpret Gaddafi's speech as I understand it. Here we go:

My fellow Libyans:
Thank you for the support I receive from millions and millions of you. My problem is with the United States and, well, Europe. As you all know, they have always hated me. They have always wanted my head. I thought this whole thing was over but now they are at it again. In fact, they have come right here in Libya, demonstrating in the streets, asking for me to resign. One mistake they make is that they think I am a president; as we all know, I am not a president. I am only a leader, defending millions of you. They think that makes me a president. I am not a president. As you know, I am one of you. If I were a president I would have resigned. But I am not a president. Asking me to resign is like asking you all to resign. Asking you all to resign does not make sense because you do not hold any office in particular. I do not hold any office in particular. I am only a leader defending the Libyan people, that is, all of you. What should I then resign from? Nothing.

My fellow country people, those people from the West and their friends in Aljazeera and Al Quaeda usually call me crazy. They think what I say does not make sense - like saying that I do not hold any position in particular. But I am convinced it makes sense to us in Libya. As you all know, I am the defender of the people, chosen by God and the people to be leader of Arabs and Africans. Some people may think that is crazy but it makes sense to me and it makes sense to you. That is why I am going to kill all those Americans, Arabs, and Europeans who do not want me to be defender of the people. If you go out right now you will see the dead bodies of Americans and Europeans lying in the streets. I will kill them one by one and show them that I am the defender of the people. They say I am living in an alternate universe because I have my own reality but what they fail to realize is that the alternate universe in which I live is the place where all Libyans, nay, all Africans and Arabs, live.

My fellow Libyans, thank you for all the support you are giving me. I want to especially thank the people of Bengazi for standing up to the Americans and the Europeans and the Al Qaeda. Thank you. I will go out there now and execute all those Americans, Europeans, and Al Qaeda who have come right here in Tripoli to overthrow me. I will see you again soon too give you further report. I am defender of the people . . .

No comments: