Links

Monday, April 28, 2014

Racism as Sickness of the Mind

Growing up in Cameroon, we were never taught either at home or at school that we were better than other people in the world - white, yellow, red, etc. However, as I progressed in school, I soon learned of apartheid in South Africa, then I learned of slavery and racial segregation in America. I read that white people were teaching their kids that they are better than all other people in the world. I went to school with kids whose parents were exiled from South Africa and Namibia because they were saying that white people were lying when they taught their kids that they were better than other people in the world in any way.

The older I get, however, the more I discover that this teaching has so infected the minds of some white people that it has now become a sickness of the mind. This sickness seems to be recently becoming fashionable - in Europe, a banana was thrown to a Black Brazilian player, Dani Alves, while in America racists are having a field day, stating how slavery had been good for Black people and how black people are only good to make one rich but not for public association. All of this makes me wonder whether this sickness of the mind is something that has a cure or if it is a sickness that only leads to death. I think parents ought to be ashamed of themselves when they teach their kids that they are better than other kids. I see people telling kids not to curse or use obscene language but at the same time they harbor this sickness in their hearts, this reprehensible sickness which is far greater than obscene language. Any person or people infected with this deadly disease ought to be worried about their sanity. It is a strange thing to watch other human beings and not to see them as human. Only a sick mind fails to notice a human being as human.

No comments: