Links

Thursday, March 8, 2012

How Cameroon's Indomitable Lions Became A Church

The national football team of Cameroon, the Indomitable Lions, have been recently conspicuous for their raucous failures demonstrated by their shameful first round exit from the World Cup in South Africa in 2010 and their failure to qualify for the African Nations Cup tournament in 2012. Thus it is that the whole country has been engaged in soul searching about what needs to be done to reverse this dismal state of affairs. One of the responses to this is that Rigobert Song, the erstwhile captain of the national team who himself did not know when it had come time for him to retire from the team, has been appointed team manager. In order to stem the tide of what he believes to be ailing the team, he has written a creed for those who would be part of the team to abide by. Below is the eleven-point creed:
  1. The Cameroon national team is sacred, serving it is my only goal
  2. The green-red-yellow is sacred, I shall wear it in every stadium, honour and defend it
  3. Playing for my country is an honour, with loyalty, fidelity and courage I shall represent it
  4. Each match and each selection is goodness shared with my people, my public and mates
  5. With my team-mates I shall be strong, with friendship and solidarity my watchword
  6. Respect for elders is a principle, from them I inherit this jersey, illustrious they handed it to me and glorious I will pass it on
  7. I shall communicate with my coaches, comrades and officials, dialogue shall remain my strength
  8. No matter the time and place, player or substitute I shall serve with enthusiasm and professionalism
  9. I shall give my best in the field, I shall be humble and hold my head high
  10. From North to South, East to West, I shall be a model for the youths of Cameroon and Africa
  11. Indomitable I am, indomitable I shall remain
From the above, one cannot fail but notice that the national team has become a religious organization, a church, of sorts. The team is described as "sacred" and Song even calls what he does a "sermon".  Song demands loyalty and fidelity from honored ones who will be fortunate enough to play for Cameroon. I have many questions about all this, one of which is why someone would be considered honored to play for Cameroon. What is honorable about Cameroon to which one has to be loyal? One thing that Song fails to mention is the rampant corruption that is the very process of selecting players for the national team. This corruption is one which has been promoted by the ruling elite, of which Song is himself a part. Instead of working to curb this corruption in high places that has destroyed the national team, this disloyalty from people who are supposed to be patriotic, Song is focusing on making himself a cult-leader, bring state dictatorship into the national team. The problem with Cameroon's national team is not the players; the problem is the managers and Song is one of them. To demand loyalty from the players is to turn the table while leaving the culprit of Cameroon's decline go free. I have followed Cameroon football for over twenty-five years. As the leaders of the country have become increasing corrupt and unpatriotic so has the team declined. Recently, Cameroon's leaders have been refusing to pay players. How do you expect loyalty from people who are not paid even as the fat cats in government offices are siphoning money from the country? Paul Biya, the president of the country, hardly lives in the country. How loyal is that? How patriotic? How do you expect loyalty from people who work in a place where everyone is disloyal? Does Song want the players to play for free in order to show their patriotism while Song and his people keep stealing the money from the country?

No comments: