Links

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fasting for Soccer

When I saw this ridiculous story about South Africans fasting in order to improve their chances of winning the FIFA World Cup, I could not help commenting on it. Even though I am not a prophet, I can prophesy with 100% certainty that South Africa is not going to win the world cup. The reason for this is simple: winning the coveted trophy is not based on miracles; it is based on skill. And the South African football team does not have the skill. Period. They will do better than expected but there is no way they can win the world cup. Anyone who knows anything about soccer knows that. If South Africans want to be delusional, that is their business. Perhaps that is the purpose of the tournament - to promote fantasy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good heavens, no, David, the purpose is to make money, gain prestige and promote nationalism. Convince people that fasting will bring them money and obesity may well end, though of the common sins, gluttony is still my second favorite.
I actually enjoy the hubris surrounding final rounds of sports, simply because it's a spectacle. I don't want to see anyone get hurt by it, but think it's part of the fun of any tradition, like turning our ball caps upside down for a rally, or singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" when your team is down. As long as it's fun, let 'em go.